Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Heaven's Scent

 "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived the things God has prepared for those who love him."                       1 Corinthians 2:9

    Though the day was briskly cold, I determined to walk to the lagoons anyway. To my delight, along the way was a gift from my Creator - a fragrant bouquet of dark violet lilacs in full bloom. As I paused to graciously receive this aromatic blessing, I wondered about the scents of heaven. 

    Our eyes shall behold the promised Holy City, coming down in all its brilliance like that of a very precious jewel. In our ears will reverberate the din of the multitude, like the roar of Niagara with loud peals of thunder and shouts of Hallelujah. 

    But what treats await our olfactory senses? 

    When I was a child, my family loved to dine on the back porch where the summery aromas of the honeysuckle vine overpowered any culinary offerings. This sweet scent spurs memories of long ago with such clarity that the passage of years evaporates, and suddenly I am there once more.

    I hope heaven smells like that, and I am quite confident it will. The God who infuses our earthly home with whiffs of jasmine or the glories of gardenia will most certainly satiate our senses with the richest of aromas in our new abode. 

    Such an anticipation is heaven sent.

"Blessed are those you choose and bring near to live in your courts! We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple." Psalm 65:4

    

No comments:

Post a Comment