Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Story of My Life

 "And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12: 1-3

    One of my favorite genres of literature is biography; it appeals to my nosy nature. Currently, I am reading, "Johnny Cash: the Redemption of an American Icon." Written after his death, the author must rely upon personal interviews and glean recorded accounts, citing references along the way. Had Cash written his own story, it would have been an autobiography.

    Who is writing the story of my life?

    When I became a Christian, my account went from being autobiographical to a most interesting biography - one I could never have hoped to pen myself. When I gave Jesus the authority, He expertly began to weave the plot, introducing new characters as He develops the story line. With a vivacious intellect, He wends the way from action/adventure to the throes of drama, then adds a whiff of romance, written as sweet poetry, before comedic tones are introduced to lighten the story. Mysteries may be revealed in the next chapter, or He may, in His wisdom, evolve them into a cliff hanger. 

    Every story must have an antagonist, and mine is not free from the dastardly determination of the devil. However, Jesus provides protection for the protagonist with the armor of God as He continues to build to a climax.

    When the final page is penned, these words of finality, "The End," will not be seen. Rather, there will be only this: "...To be continued."

    Jesus, as the Author of life itself (Acts 3:15), is the only One with the qualifications to take my unedited pile of papers and turn it into a best seller. He, who knew my story before the world began, created me, redeemed me from a life of slavery to sin, and will whisk me off to a mansion to live happily ever after with Him. 

    And that, my friend, is no fairy tale.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16

No comments:

Post a Comment