Saturday, February 3, 2024

God's Welcome Mat

 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him." Luke 10:38

    If I remember correctly, my niece had a mat at her front door which declared, "Go Away!" Knowing her as I do, this was all in great jest. She's a funny kid, that one.

    I don't think there were welcome mats during the days of Christ, but if there were, dear Martha would have had one. It was no small task to invite a Stranger and His twelve friends in for a visit! As she scrambled about to kill the fattened calf and knead hasty loaves, her sister, Mary, was the one whose hunger was being satisfied as she listened to Jesus, the Bread of Life.

    There came a day in my own life when Jesus entered my home at my invitation. He is the Head of this house; the unseen Guest at every meal. He walks with me daily, and I with Him. 

    I wonder if the portal of heaven has a welcome mat? When I die and my guardian angel guides me there, I know my Father will be there with a hearty greeting! After I wipe the earthly dust from my shoes, I will run into His divine embrace, weeping tears of joy. Home at last! After I hug the long gone saints whom I have sorely missed, then Jesus will show me around.

    "Here is the living room," He may say as we tread the golden floor, "and here is the kitchen." Before showing me to a room of my own, my mouth will drop open at the sight of the royal banquet hall, where the long tables will be set in preparation for the marriage supper of the Lamb. 

    I will feel right at home with my Savior, whose company I so enjoyed while in my earthly tent. Because I opened my home to Him, He opens His to me. Welcome home!

"Jesus replied, 'Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." John 14:23

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with  me where I am." John 14: 2, 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment