Saturday, February 10, 2024

The Joyful Choice

    What a week! How many of you know that when God teaches, He often reiterates the lesson three times, in quick succession? And usually, He addresses the listener by their full name on the last delivery, just as your mother would have done when she wanted your attention.

    There in the doctor's waiting room sat a man adjacent from me, reading a book. Without introduction, he simply lowered his book, turned to me and asked, "Why do riot police get up early?"

    "Uh, I don't know. Why?" came my reply.

    With a twinkle came the answer: "So they can beat the crowds." 

    This came from a man who just learned he must have all his teeth extracted before radiation can be administered for his cancer. 

    The following day, a text arrived from a dear family member. "My biopsy has revealed a diagnosis: I have breast cancer." Having called her as soon as I could, she stated plainly in bold faith, "Do I want to have surgery? No, but tis no matter." She continued, "For me, it's a win-win situation. I want to go forth in victory, come what may."

    Then came a visit to our tax-man, who is also a friend from long ago. During our comfortable banter, he shared with me the harrowing hassle he had endured at the hands of the IRS. Due to an oversight, he was thusly penalized, costing this widower thousands of dollars. "It was a nightmare," he concluded, "But I am thankful to God, who is so good to me, for giving me each day. Life is a gift!"

    For the Christian, finding joy is not a pasted-on Pollyanna-happiness, but rather a wellspring of deep-down decision to choose it through the power of the Holy Spirit. Joy joins hands with Hope, and that hope comes only from knowing Christ. "For the joy set before him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12: 2, 3)

    The joy is yet to come; it is set before us, as it was for Jesus. Did He want to be crucified? No, but He endured it for us, knowing it was the only way to mend fences between God and Man. Psalm 30:5 implores, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

    I had been wrestling with robotic "assistants" over the phone, wearily wrangling with a problem that seemed to loom larger than life, and the tears came. I'd had enough. But as I considered these three lessons from above, I tenderly felt the hand of Jesus on my shoulder as He bade me to "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) He'd called me, using my full name.

    I love this concluding verse because it is a recipe for joy. To taste it, I must trust in Him.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

    

No comments:

Post a Comment