Thursday, February 22, 2024

Gabbing with God

 "'Because he loves me,' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.'" Psalm 91: 14-16

    Today, God taught me about communication.

    Halfway through the morning, I realized I was not receiving any texts or calls on my cell phone. During a break, I paused from my task at work to call my husband, but the message on my phone indicated I was not connected to any network. As my coworkers and I talked among ourselves, we discovered there was a connectivity problem that affected half the United States. It was an odd feeling, not being able to dash off a quick message.

    The scuttlebutt had been that an enemy had hacked our cell towers or satellites. In these times of great deceptions, I really didn't know what to believe. On my way home, though, I stopped by my daughter's house to inform her. Living alone, her cell phone is her only source of communication. 

    Continuing on my way, that familiar feeling of anxiety threatened to encroach upon me, so I talked aloud to God. Passing a church sign, I smiled to read, "Trust your unknown future to a known God." It was as if He were audibly chiming in on our conversation.

    But wait; it gets better! Upon checking my mailbox once home, I spied an unfamiliar handwriting on an envelope mailed from somewhere in Cleveland. What's this? 

    Unfolding the single sheet of notebook paper, my heart swelled within me when I read these words from an unknown person:

"I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for standing for Jesus. It's a great delight as I'm driving by to take my son to school and see the sign in your yard that reminds us of the truth that Jesus is our only hope. I haven't seen many of those, if any. I pray the Lord's blessing be upon you and your family as you serve the Lord's purposes. Blessings in Christ, Chris."

    The irony was not lost on me that, though my cell phone was affected, it had no bearing on my direct line with the Great I Am. When I remain connected to the Vine, He speaks to me through any means available, whether it be a sign along the road or an item of snail mail. No enemy, however loud he may roar, will ever be able to sever my communication with God.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15: 5


No comments:

Post a Comment