Saturday, December 16, 2023

Jesus Loves the Little Children

 "Then people brought little children to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" Matthew 19: 13, 14

    After dinner last night, I was reading the "Letters to Santa" in the newspaper. The letters were submitted by second and third graders from local schools, printed exactly as the children had written them. Here are a few I loved:

Dear Santa, My name is Dale. I am in 2 grade. I have been Good this year because I have been woshing the dishes. I wish for my dad to come home.

Dear Santa, I am Rosie from Ohio. I want a BarBie dream house. And I want to know were my glasses are.

Dear Santa, My name is Kol and I am 8 years old. My Christmas wish is to make all the poor, rich. I would like enough food for everyone. Please and thank you.

Deer Santa, I what Chrismas to be the best time of the year and i thick it is gana be amazing.

    Out of the mouths of these babes came a mixed bag of wants and desires. Was I surprised to see many of them ask for an IPhone? Of course, there were various toys requested, and one kid was bold enough to ask for $10,000! 

    I may cause some gasps from the crowd today when I say, I don't really like this business of Santa. I remember when I was a child (probably about seven or eight years old), one of my sisters told me that Santa was make-believe. I was very angry about that, having felt deceived by everyone. Why would my parents, who taught me about the Baby Jesus in Bethlehem, also feel the need to give me gifts from Santa? Was Jesus not enough? 

    Ponder the verses above. Would you rather your children sit on the red lap of a fabled man, or would you rather they come to the divine embrace of Jesus, who prays for them? Close your eyes and picture the beaming faces of children waiting in line to see Jesus at the mall. Jesus, who gives eternal life, unconditional love, grace, mercy, peace and joy - things that last. 

    Let the magic of the incarnation amaze you today! The King of kings, Creator and Sustainer of the universe, laid aside his glory and poured Himself into the vessel of a dependent, vulnerable baby. Oh, come let us adore Him, full of grace and truth, who gave His life for us, whom death could not hold, who rose from the grave and went to prepare a place for us, so that we may come be with Him where He is, forever.

    Christmas is the best time of the year and I think it is going to be amazing!

"For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given and the government will be upon his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment