Monday, August 1, 2022

Who Am I?

 "But Moses said to God, 'Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?' And God said, 'I will be with you.'" Exodus 3: 11, 12

    Has God ever asked something of you of which you felt incapable? Or maybe you just didn't want to do it.

     Years ago, a pastor of a church we attended at that time approached me, asking me to deliver the children's message during the service. Engulfed by my fear of public speaking, I begged off stating, "When the Bible speaks of the roles of the body of Christ, I am the buttocks in the illustration, strong but better left unseen." Though my response elicited a hearty chuckle, I always felt I had let the pastor down.

    Perhaps I should have researched the Biblical giants of the faith, who also had ready-made excuses cloaking low self esteem as I did. Take Moses, for example. He peppered God with his reasons why he was the wrong man for the job, but God patiently insisted. 

    Then there's Gideon, who was called by God to save Israel from the Midianite bullies: "But Lord, how can I save Israel?" he asked, "My clan is the weakest in Manasseh and I am the least in my family." As He had done with Moses, God replied, "I will be with you." (Judges 6: 15, 16)

    When God came knocking on Jeremiah's door with a prophetic role to fulfill, his response was, "Ah, Sovereign Lord, I do not know how to speak. I am too young." By now, it's not surprising to hear God's reassurance, "Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." (Jeremiah 1: 6, 8)

    Three reticent men who all received this same answer from the eternal, omnipotent God: I will be with you. When they stepped out in the strength of the Lord, they accomplished the task and are, no doubt, receiving their reward for faithfulness in heaven. 

    Had I stepped out of my comfort zone, I would have seen the hand of God in mine as He led me into a place He foreknew would be best for me. I not only let the pastor down, I failed to recognize the limitlessness of God, thereby missing out on the opportunities that stem from obedience. 

    The next time I hear the voice of the Lord say, "Whom shall I send?" I will, with the assistance of the Holy Spirit, mimic the response of the prophet Isaiah and eagerly reply, "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8) After all, it's not who I am that matters, it is who He is.

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment