Saturday, August 27, 2022

Be Still

 "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." Psalm 119:28

    God is a delight. I found strength in the most unexpected place this week when I really needed it.

    Lately, I'd been feeling the effects of the weary war zone of spiritual battles. Like a dust-covered soldier, I'd been asking my King to "create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10) 

    My bi-annual visit to the dentist had me cranked back in the chair, an open mouth above a paper bib. The mostly one-sided conversation with the hygienist meandered here and there until it entered the familiar green pastures of scripture, much to my delight. From beneath her mask as she scraped my tartar, the gal known to me as Margaret shared her Christian beliefs with me. After quoting one of my favorite verses from Romans chapter eight, she also knew Psalm 46:10 by heart: "Be still and know that I am God." In true God-like humor, in my presently prone position, how could I do otherwise?

    This bonus cleaning from Margaret gave my heart a sparkling gleam. I left feeling strengthened, ready to rejoin the ranks.

"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." Psalm 105:4

    

No comments:

Post a Comment