Thursday, August 11, 2022

Relatable

 "That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake." Matthew 13:1

    During my morning devotion, I opened my Bible to the suggested scripture and began to read from the thirteenth chapter of Matthew, but I didn't get past the first verse. It lent such a smile that I couldn't proceed without pausing to write. 

    The above verse is so relatable to me because it recounts what I did only yesterday: I left my house and walked down to the park where there is a pond. It's one of my favorite places in Lake County. How beautiful is the humanity of Jesus, Immanuel, God with us! What other god ever came down here to sit by a lake? "Can you imagine," I wondered aloud, "seeing God sitting on a bench down at Granger Pond?"

    Then it dawned on me: I did see Him! He brushed past a family of five-leafed plants that dwelt on the forest floor. His glory was reflected in the smooth water's surface. I felt His presence as He pointed out two spotted fawns following their mother's footsteps into the glade. I recognized His humorous touch on the toadstool tucked beneath low boughs. His winsome voice could be heard in the birdsong above me as the sun showcased His exquisite craftsmanship in a spider's web.  His softer side was quite evident in the frothy pink blossoms that resembled a lady's swaying form. 

    I wonder what Jesus pondered as He sat by the lake before the crowd found Him? Did He recount those early days when He spoke and these came into being? Perhaps He recalled the fun He had fashioning a stool for a toad, knowing how it would fuel the imagination of children. Did the birds above sing more exuberantly for their Creator as the clouds bowed before Him? Did the breeze ruffle His hair, as it had mine?  

    I am left to wonder, yet my heart is content just knowing Jesus sat by the lake.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment