Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Pink Suitcase

"You hem me in, behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the night will shine like the day for the darkness is as light to you."
Psalm 139: 5, 7-12

     Ever feel like running away?

     I was mad about something, one dramatic childhood day, so I grabbed my pink suitcase and set to packing my belongings. "I'll show them, by jove! I'll run away!"

     The suitcase, which was perfect when packed with swimming stuff for the Y, suddenly seemed so small when I tried to cram in all I had. Slowly, it dawned on me how good I really had it as the piles of clothes and toys in my wallpapered bedroom would not fit. And, the thought of walking, at night, alone, past "The Boulevard" where I'd never been allowed to go, suddenly scared me, so it wasn't long before I simmered down and unpacked.

     Even if I had left, it would not have changed my identity; I was still my father's daughter no matter where I went. I was a Schupp with three sisters, two loving parents and grandparents and nothing could alter those absolute truths. I belonged to that family, more than just genetically. They loved me and would have come looking for me (right?).

     Do you ever feel like running away from God? You squirm and writhe under his absolute truths and it becomes uncomfortable to be "hemmed in" by Him, especially when you want to go "past the Boulevard." But you can't change your identity. You are your Father's child no matter where you roam and, like the Prodigal son, the Father's eyes scan the horizon daily, looking for his lost son.

     Look around at your piles of benevolence. Simmer down and unpack your suitcase. Nothing can ever sever you from the love of Christ Jesus so just accept that and settle into the warmest embrace you'll ever experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment