Sunday, August 10, 2014

When Money Morphs Into Mammon

"No one can serve two masters; for he will either hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Mammon."
Matthew 6:24

     What is money? Is it more than just a way of exchanging this for that? This week, I read a quote from an Irish clergyman, Donagh O'Shea:

     "Money is much more than the paper it seems to be, or the metal or the plastic. It is our love of things; it is our escape from dependence on people; it is our security against death; it is our effort to control life. It is easier to love things than to love people. Things are dead so you can possess them easily. Money will never hurt your feelings or challenge your motives, but neither will it respond to you - because it is dead. After a while, you will be incapable of loving anyone. The religion of God is the religion of love. The instinct of love is to share, to give away. But the instinct of Mammon is to accumulate."

     When the temple was going to be built by Solomon, King David, from his personal possessions, contributed 110 tons of gold and 260 tons of silver! It was not a tax write-off that possessed him to do so. This is what he had to say:

     "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." (1 Chronicles 29:14)

      Once you know the source of your wealth, it makes it so much easier to let it all go! It is not yours, you can't take it with you. We are merely conduits of the power, like electricity; God is the source. So, let all he gives you run through you and overflow to others who really need it - be it money or talent or time or emotions. Freely you have been given; freely you should give. We have been commanded to love one another. Why would you want to love the things God gave you rather than the God who gives? That is when money morphs into Mammon. The definition of mammon is "the false god of riches and avarice."

     There is one suit I always wear that has no pockets: my birthday suit! It will also be my deathday suit, when I think about it. "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart." (Job 1:21) If I should die today, the only purse I will carry is my heart. What is in there? The admission price to heaven was paid with innocent blood, the sacrifice of Jesus. If he is not found in my heart, I am not admitted.

     Dear God, may I serve you and you alone. Forgive me if I ever feel prideful or possessive of the things you have given me. Remind me to keep the flow going, to share with others and not keep a clenched fist. I love because you first loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment