Friday, August 1, 2014

Don't Eat Pine Cones

     God's word is alive, viable, fresh every day. It never morphs into a dusty novel on the shelf. Even my favorite work, Gone With The Wind, cannot feed my soul, though I've read it numerous times. It cannot be a "lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:106) No other book can do this: "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11)

     "If anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." (John 8:51) Eternal life is within its pages!

     "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." (Mark 13:31) This book will never be out of print.

     Think about the food you eat. There are calories. Vitamins and minerals are extracted to meet our daily needs. It gives us energy. We would not eat pebbles or pine cones (hopefully!) because they are void of the things our bodies need. No, we must eat the right things to thrive and survive.

     Living on God's word provides my soul with all it needs: direction, hope, eternal life. It satiates my curiosities about how the world began, how it's going to end and all that happened in between. Turning to any other book would be like eating pine cones. No wonder it remains the best seller. I know it's the only book in my collection that is read every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment