Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Me, a Ruler?

"When I consider the heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you would care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings, and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas."
Psalm 8: 3-8

     God crowned me with glory and honor? He must think more highly of me than I do myself. With all this on my shoulders, what type of ruler ought I to be? A humble one! Repeatedly in scriptures, God smiles on the humble and frowns upon the proud.

     Notice, the passage does not say he put other people under my feet. No, if I am a ruler then so are they. I should strive to work in tandem, loving my neighbor as God loves me. As far as it is up to me, I must be at peace with others.

     The other day, I was impatient and frustrated by the idiosyncrasies of my dog so I was gruff with him. But it weighed heavily on me and I asked God to forgive me; I was not a good ruler that day.

     How can I improve? Feed the birds. Take in a stray. Tend my property with care. Show God I love him by adoring his creation.

     What type of ruler ought you to be? A proud despot? A humble leader who knows the value of servitude?

     I choose the latter and ask God to help me achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment