Monday, September 16, 2024

Humpty Dumpty

"When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind Him in the crowd and touched His cloak, because she thought, 'If I just touch His clothes, I will be healed.' Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering." Mark 5: 27-29

    On Saturday, my sisters and I attended a craft fair on the grounds of a splendid historical home in Kent, Ohio. While browsing about, I came across a booth whose moniker caught my attention so I paused to speak to the artisan. 

    "Why is your business called "The Broken Rabbit?" I inquired of the man who crafted pottery. 

    "Because," he explained with a half smile, "I am the rabbit and I am broken."

    Though he didn't expound upon the reason behind his condition, I ruefully agreed that we indeed live in a broken world and the only cure for us is Jesus. 

    In hindsight, I should have shared the verses from Isaiah which speak of our Lord God being the Potter while we are his clay, the workmanship of his divine hands, but it didn't come to mind in time. I did, however, buy a wee work of his as a reminder to pray for him.

    Before walking to the park the following day, I donned my ballcap that bears an embroidered cross. As I wended my way 'round the pond, a dogwalker commented, "I like your hat." I asked him if he knew Jesus, and his glowing countenance provided the answer. At my coaxing, he shared a bit of his testimony which involved a downward spiral to a rock-bottom resignation. 

    While he was at this nadir in his life, a pastor asked him, "Are you ready to invite Jesus into your life?" And like the woman in the verses above, when he reached out to Christ in faith, he was healed.

    As I pondered the two broken men, the words of Humpty Dumpty came to mind: All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put him back together again. From a mother's kiss to a psychiatrist's couch, we find through trial and error that only the One who made the vessel is truly able to make the repairs. And the Potter doesn't just fix the cracks, He creates a new work. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come; The old has gone, the new is here!" (2 Corinthians 5:17) 

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

No comments:

Post a Comment