Monday, July 22, 2024

This Little Gospel Light

 "In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1: 4, 5

    Now in my 60s, I remember many of the children's songs I learned in Sunday School. 

    We kids loved the one about the poor man who built his house upon the sand, mainly because we got to demonstrate rather noisily the crash of his poorly constructed abode when the rains had come down. The final verse urged us to build our life on the Lord Jesus Christ.

    Another favorite was recounting with our motions the story of Zacchaeus, the "wee little man who climbed up in a sycamore tree for he wanted the Lord to see." Because we were small, we could especially relate to this diminutive tax collector with whom the Lord had supper. Would I have climbed a tree to see Jesus?

    In my mind's eye, I see us all singing loudly as we held our "candles" up toward heaven: "This little gospel light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!" We had such enthusiasm behind our childlike faith. As young as I was, just one kid among many baby boomers, the flame that lit my wick was enough to light a very dark room. 

    Never underestimate the power of the gospel.

    The Bible says, "A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out." (Isaiah 42:3) Indeed, the candle that had illumined my young heart remains lit to this day.

    While walking around a public event recently, we explored the various vendors' wares. Beneath brightly-colored canopies were offerings of sunglasses, tie-dyed garments, political agendas and jewelry of all shapes. Tantalizing aromas bid us to approach the different food trucks as upbeat music quickened our step. 

    Not much caused me to pause until, like a ray of brilliant sunshine, I spotted a familiar sight when I espied a table offering the Good News of the Gospel! Like a moth drawn to a flame, I buzzed over to strike up a conversation with the attendees. I felt as refreshed as if I had drank from flowing streams of Living Water. 

    Though it was the only table of its type, it shone like the noonday sun among gray clouds.

    As our culture continues its descent into the darkness, I am persuaded all the more to raise my candle high and let my Light shine for all to see. "I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine all the time, let it shine." It points the way to heaven .

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment