Friday, January 19, 2024

Untouchable

 "We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him." 1 John 5:18

    About a decade ago, while my husband and I lay asleep one night, I was awakened by something. Upon opening my eyes, I was stricken with such terror, the likes of which I had never known. There, at the foot of our bed, loomed a large, dark form. It bore no discernable features other than a ghoulish outline, but the evil it emitted was palpable and unmistakable. 

    It spoke not, nor did it move toward me, yet I instinctively grasped my husband's arm as I buried my head in his side. Though he awoke, he could not see anything, nor could I convey the reason for my fear since I was unable to speak. When my gaze returned to the foot of the bed a second time, the presence was still there. After a third time, it was gone. Trembling, I poured out to David what I had experienced. 

    I had cried out to Jesus to purify the room and surround our home with a battalion of angels before I would reenter it. The reasons behind this encounter eluded me. Had I unintentionally invited a demon into my home? 

    The answer came to me just the other night while reading a devotional entitled, "Who I am in Christ," by Neil T. Anderson. It's a marvelous book filled with thirty-six readings and prayers, based on the truth of Scripture which expound upon all the glorious riches we have in Christ Jesus. Protection from evil in one of them.

    Imagine my reaction when, in chapter twenty-four, I read: "Have you ever awakened at night feeling terrorized? You may have felt a pressure on your chest or an evil presence in the room." The author explained that, as a child of God, evil cannot touch me. If I live in submission to God, just proclaiming the name of Jesus will make the devil flee; I am safe in the arms of God. He is my sanctuary. 

    Looking back on this experience, though it had filled me with such terror, I am grateful to have been shown just how deep the demonic darkness can be, thereby drawing me closer than ever to my Savior's side. Satan, the father of lies, cannot stand in the face of Truth. Thanks be to Jesus, who has been given all authority and supremacy over all things, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities. (see Colossians 1: 15-20) In Him, I am untouchable.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." James 4:7

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10:27

No comments:

Post a Comment