Sunday, January 8, 2023

Fruit Which Never Rots

"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 'Come, follow Me,' Jesus said, 'and I will send you out to fish for people.' At once, they left their nets and followed Him." Matthew 4: 18-20

    Have you ever felt less-than-average, sub par, low on the totem pole of society? Maybe you've been at a dinner party when the conversation exceeded your realm of expertise and, with a downcast feeling, you heard Satan accuse you of your lack of worth. Or perhaps it seems your voice is drowned out by others; your opinion carries no weight.

    How does God see us? From where does our value come? Is He impressed by college degrees, brawny strength or a rich vocabulary?

    In my line of work, I prepare daily fruit servings for students at a middle school. I slice watermelons and pineapples, same as I did the day before and, sometimes, I return home discouraged and beaten down. My self-worth plummets and, like the prophet Elijah, I do not want to carry on. Evidently, I have not been listening to the right Person.

    When Jesus called His disciples, He chose an unlikely bunch: some blue-collared fishermen, a passionate zealot, even a despised tax collector. He befriended prostitutes, touched lepers and dead people and dined with society's outcasts. Why? As Jesus explained, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners." (Mark 2:17)

    Once we confess our sins and invite Jesus into our hearts, we are given the righteous robe of Jesus to wear and become connected to the Vine. Then we are able to do amazing things for the kingdom of God. That is where we receive our value.

    Like Clark Kent who wore the cape of Superman, I lay aside my apron and don the robe Jesus gave me. Then I am able to share my faith freely with others and produce real fruit, fruit that will last for all eternity. 

    In grandiose theological terms, this is called "imputed righteousness." All I know is, I am worth more than many sparrows because Jesus loves me. He was not content to let me die in my sins; He is my Hero who laid down His life for me. I am valuable.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit - fruit that will last - and so whatever you ask in my Name, the Father will give you." John 15:16

    

No comments:

Post a Comment