Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Patience of Job

 "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth...I myself will see Him with my own eyes...How my heart yearns within me!" Job 19:25-27

    It's hard to be patient. "A watched pot never boils" befits my temperament. 

    This week, I have been learning about Old Testament Job through a sermon series. Did you know that the book of Job is traditionally known as the oldest book of the Bible and that Job lived in the time before Moses? That means Job did not even have the Torah (the first five books of the Bible written by Moses) from which to fortify his faith, yet he could declare the above verse with confidence. Despite unusual, undeserved suffering in his life, Job patiently endured it all, waiting for the hope of salvation.

    How could Job know that thousands of years later, his Redeemer did stand on the earth? Indeed, Jesus stood in the Jordan River when baptized by John. A voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:17)

    A glorified Jesus stood on the Mount of Transfiguration, chatting it up with Moses and Elijah, when, once again, a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, with Him I am well pleased. Listen to Him." (Matthew 17:5)

    An accused and arrested Jesus stood before the Roman governor as He was asked, "Are you King of the Jews?" (Matthew 27:11)

    After His death, burial and resurrection, a risen Jesus was taken up into a cloud before the very eyes of His disciples. Two angels then said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)

    So, we join the patient Job as we, too, watch with the eyes of faith for His coming, His second coming. Will He come? What do you think?

    I bank my life and eternity on the words spoken by Job so long ago. "I myself will see Him with my own eyes!"

"I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.' He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21: 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment