Wednesday, July 13, 2022

My Father's House

 "My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may also be where I am." John 14: 2, 3

    While lazing beneath the boughs of our big tulip tree, my mind meandered to odd realms. I plucked a thought and voiced it to Dave: "Can you imagine if we took our lawn chairs over to that guy's house across the street (whom we have never met) and just sat in his yard? I wonder what he'd do?" I envisioned a befuddled man who would either yell at us to get out of his yard or maybe even shoot at us!

    Why? Because I have no rights there. When I clock out at work, I cannot pull into the driveway three doors down. I must go to the house to which I have the key. As a co-owner with my husband, the deed gives me the right to enter the home. We humans post signs that declare "private property" or "no trespassing" in an effort to stake out what is ours and bar that which does not belong.

    This leads me to my Father's house. What gives me the right to pull into His drive and enter the house? After all, this is the Almighty's mansion I'm talking about. Must I wear my best clothes, as if I were visiting the President? Should I bring a bottle of wine and a bouquet of flowers? How may I "approach God's throne of grace with confidence" so that I may receive mercy and find grace to help me in my time of need? (Hebrews 4:16) Maybe my knees would knock like those of the Cowardly Lion when the Wizard of Oz bellowed at him. What should I do?

    The answer lies in the word "family." When I accepted the gift of salvation which was paid for by Jesus's death and resurrection, I became a part of the family of God. I don't need to come as a guest. Jesus has given me a set of keys so I have every right to pull in the drive and go right inside without any fear of reprisal or locked doors. The Bible says, "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" (Romans 8: 14, 15)

    My Dad owns the Big House!

Big House

by Audio Adrenaline

Come and go with me to my Father's house.

It's a big, big house with lots and lots of room,

A big, big table with lots and lots of food,

A big, big yard where we can play football,

A big, big house, it's my Father's house.


No comments:

Post a Comment