Friday, June 10, 2022

The Hapless Mouse

 "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

    Huddled on the deck near the back door was a wee, furry victim of our outdoor cat. Thankful I didn't accidentally step on him, I squatted to peer at the diminutive mouse in his distress. His breath was shallow and his demeanor altogether frightened. Gently, I gathered him in a cloth, speaking soothingly to him yet he didn't understand my actions as he weakly began to fight back. With the tenderest of hand, I transported him to a place of refuge and provided him with some sunflower seeds. 

    As I pondered this encounter, it went hand-in-hand with the anxious news I received from two friends this day. One has received a scary diagnosis and the other, a pink slip of unemployment was delivered to the home. Just like the mouse, I detected in their demeanor the aftermath left by the attack: Accelerated heartrate perhaps, a fear of the unknown, a desire to turn back the clock and begin anew. 

    If I, a poor replacement for a veterinarian, acted out of love for a sweet little mouse, how much more will our Father in heaven care for these friends in need? They just need to trust Him. 

"He said, 'Surely they are my people, children who will be true to me.' And so, He became their Savior. In all their distress, He too was distressed, and the angel of His presence saved them. In His love and mercy He redeemed them; He lifted them up and carried them all the days of old." Isaiah 63: 8, 9

No comments:

Post a Comment