Saturday, June 4, 2022

My Garden of Eden

 "Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them, let all the trees of the forest sing for joy. Let all creation rejoice before the Lord." Psalm 96: 11-13

    David and I have been blessed to live within walking distance of Veteran's Park. Each time I visit, I experience something new of the majesty of my King's creation. I feel like a naive Eve exploring the handiwork of God in the garden of Eden.

    Had I kept a journal, I could better recount these experiences, but these I do recall: A rotund raccoon stuffing himself into a hollow tree, a slim snake wending its way toward foliage, a lonely turtle traversing to the pond's edge, a brilliant flash of indigo as a bluebird flew home, a curious doe standing stalwartly still amid dense leaves, a patient mother bird nestled in the crook of a tree, a determined snail with miles to go taking one "step" at a time and a bevy of baby toads heading who knows where.

    During a walk there yesterday, as we paused to refresh our limbs, a cool breeze across the pond brought spontaneous applause from the leaves of our cove as a cardinal performed an aria from above. "...and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." (Isaiah 55:12)

    On one occasion, I was selected to aid a desperate robin ensnared by fishing line in a thicket. By divine arrangement, the next passerby had a pocket knife and a willing heart to join me in this unique rescue mission. We both cheered when freedom fueled the captive's wings and I praised the God of heaven for the opportunity. "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside of your Father's care." (Matthew 10:29)

    I've come to know why God wants me to praise him. It's not because he is egocentric but, rather, it's the most natural response in my heart. I just have to join creation and give him the glory!

"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation commends your works to another, they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty- and I will meditate on your wonderful works." Psalm145: 3-5



No comments:

Post a Comment