Friday, April 1, 2022

Stinky Feet

 "After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, 'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?'" John 13: 5, 6

    During recuperation following her hip replacement surgery, my mom could not reach her feet to maintain them. Seeing her need, I tended to them with water and lotion. She was so appreciative, thanking me several times, but my love for her would not allow me to do otherwise.

    In the Jewish culture of Jesus's day, only the lowest type of slave would have the job of foot-washing, so when His disciples saw Jesus stoop over their stinky feet with a basin and towel, they were incredulous. Simon Peter forbade it, not wanting their Teacher to be so abased yet Jesus humbled Himself before them, even washing the feet of Judas, the Betrayer. 

    In a devotional message I read on this passage, the writer probed the heart of his readers with this question: If your feet were in the hands of Jesus, what would be left unsaid between you? Close your eyes and imagine the King of kings bowing over the dirtiest part of you, silently cleansing your filth. What would you say? How would you feel knowing all your hidden secrets were laid bare before His holiness? Oh, Jesus, never look there, in that dark room where skeletons abide! And yet, when we were steeped in sin, He died for us. In fact, He became sin for us. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

    To be like Christ, we must emulate His actions. To wash my loving mother's feet was easy - a joy, even. But to humble myself as a servant to a former friend who threw me under the bus, could I do that in love?  If Jesus did, who am I to refuse?

"In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!" Philippians 2: 5-8

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment