Sunday, February 20, 2022

What are You Waiting For?

 "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ." Philippians 3:20

    When the Apostle John wrote in the book of Revelation about the "patient endurance on the part of the people of God," he must've had me in mind. It took me twenty minutes and two connections to overseas call centers to cancel a simple hotel reservation. And, nowadays, I can't even slam the phone down to expend my frustration!

    Think of all the waiting we do in this life: Watched pots that never boil. Christmas morning. The old man in a hat who drives under the speed limit during rush hour traffic. The repetitive, inane television commercials. The harshly-lit doctor's office, with nary a germy magazine in sight to distract you as you pine in a paper gown (that's why we're called "patients.") Waiting, waiting, waiting.

    It's easy for an impatient person like me to feel convicted by such verses as, "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14) "I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in His word I put my hope." (Psalm 130:5) What am I waiting for?

    The answer is found in Hebrews 9:28: "He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him." Not being citizens of this world, we go through life with one ear cocked to the clouds, listening for the voice of the archangel at the trumpet's call, heralding the second coming of Christ! O, blessed day worth waiting for! 

    By the way, patience is a two-way street: "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) I am so glad His ways are not my ways, that He has the patience of Job, so to speak.

    If you haven't already put your trust in Jesus, what are you waiting for? Do it today.

"Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You, too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near." James 3: 7, 8

No comments:

Post a Comment