Saturday, February 5, 2022

That's Why

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5

    Years ago, as I drove about town with my toddler philosopher strapped in the back seat. I espied her in my rearview mirror with a puckered brow as she gazed out the window before asking, "Mom, why is the sky blue?"

    Have you ever researched the answer to that? Turns out, it's a complex explanation involving light beams refracting and so on. Just one more reason to adore my Lord and the inquisitive toddlers He creates.

    Our omniscient, loving Father knew we'd be asking "why" quite often so, as in the sixth chapter of Deuteronomy, He provides the "becauses." Why do we have to observe His decrees, being careful to obey? So that you may enjoy long life. So that it may go well with you. So that we may prosper and be kept alive.

    The first time I'd read these verses during which the Israelites were on their way to the Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey, God sounded like an egocentric bully bossing people around., but as I grew in my faith and experienced God's love for me first hand, I knew why He commanded me to love Him with all I possess. It's so that He can gather me under His protective wings, as a hen gathers her chicks. My Father, who has been around the block forever, knows who my adversary is. He has seen the dark, demonic host who wish to sift me like wheat. He's well aware of the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms so He wants to spare me from all the sorrows that slavery to Satan brings. 

    With the greatest commandment being to love this God will all my heart, soul, mind and strength, He makes that pretty easy. After all, I love because He first loved me. That's why.

"'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?' Jesus replied, '"Love the Lord your God will all your heart and will all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22: 36-38 

No comments:

Post a Comment