Thursday, July 29, 2021

You Be the Judge

"Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, 'Which is right in God's eyes: to listen to you, or to Him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.'" Acts 4: 18. 19

    Recently, I began volunteering to help the food pantry at a local church. The food is kept on the church property and operated by loving brothers and sisters of their congregation. As part of the training, I was told we are "not allowed to proselytize" since the Cleveland Food Bank that supplies the goods does the governing. In my heart, I thought, "Oh, so the church is good enough to provide the means, but then we are told to shut up." Those who arrive to be fed will be hungry again as they drive away with souls as empty as raided shelves.

    The courage we lack was demonstrated by Peter and John in the days of the early church. They were also told to shut up by the governing authorities of that day, but reread their amazing response in the verses above. These two unschooled former fishermen had healed a man in the name of Jesus, then proceeded to preach the Good News to the hungry crowds. Before they were thrown in jail for this "crime", many who heard their message believed, so the number grew to five thousand. 

    When Jesus fed the five thousand by multiplying the little boy's lunch, those who ate were soon hungry again. At this feeding of the five thousand, the starving were satiated with the words of eternal life!

    After Peter and John's release from jail, they were given many stern warnings NOT to preach in the Name of Jesus again, yet in their subsequent prayer meeting, they implored of the Lord: "'Now Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness'...And they were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly." (Acts 4: 29, 31)

    It shames me to say that I complied with what I was instructed. I did not want to upset the apple cart. But is that what I am called to do? I believe I know the answer...

"Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'" John 4: 13, 14 

No comments:

Post a Comment