Saturday, July 31, 2021

Hiding in Plain Sight

 "Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as He was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden." Genesis 3:8

"Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty and everyone else, both slave and free, hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb.' For the great day of their wrath has come and who can withstand it?"  Revelation 6: 15-17

    When I was a teenager, I took the family car without permission. On my fool's errand, I drove through some very telltale tar which marked that car like a scarlet letter. Intelligent human being that I was, I hid the car in the garage. Now that's as feeble as trying to hide a buffalo under the bed. When my father approached me, requesting an explanation, did I rely on his love and confidently confess and repent? No. Regretfully, I lied. Why did I do that? My father loved me to pieces and he was never prone to violence or outrage, either. I had no reason other than shame.

    From Genesis to Revelation, mankind has been hiding from God. Who can blame us? The Bible says all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, thereby deserving death, so how can any one of us withstand the judgment and wrath of Holy God? If my sin brought fear of punishment from my earthly father, how much more a lifetime of iniquity against a powerful God? 

    Well, like my dad, God loves me. Loves me so much that he gave his only Son to take the stripes that I deserved. And, like that buffalo analogy, I cannot hide from Him. Proverbs 28:13 lends this wisdom: "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy." Armed with this undeserved mercy, how do I confidently approach the throne of God as his child? I'm glad you asked; it's no secret, nor is it hidden from sight. Jesus hung on a cross for all to see, thereby drawing the world to Him.

"If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world, we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4: 15-18

No comments:

Post a Comment