Wednesday, June 5, 2024

No Trespassing

 "Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup: you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Psalm 16: 5, 6

    We once had a neighbor who was a tad off. He did his best work alone, at night, when most everyone was tucked in. Though I knew he meant no harm, it was a bit disconcerting to be awakened by a scritching noise, peer out the bedroom window and see him below in our yard, pulling weeds and watering the garden.

    As I write this, I gaze out upon our back yard where we now live, gratitude welling in my heart for this lot to call our own, at least for a breadth of time. The only trespassers we experience these days have feather or fur (or snake skin!).

    There's a house on the corner yonder way which has several "No Trespassing" signs posted. When I walk past, I think, "I wouldn't want to go there anyhow. I have a lovely yard of my own."

    Spiritually speaking, my Lord has given me a lush Garden of Eden where I am sustained by the Bread of Life while rivers of grace fill my cup to overflowing. The parameters He has set in place render security and keep predators at bay. The Bible describes this as a fortress, a haven of rest. 

    Should I ever roam, as I have regretfully done in the past, He comes looking for me. "For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them." (Ezekiel 34:11) He brought me back to the fold.

    Is it a coincidence that the word "trespass" is a synonym for sin? When saying the Lord's Prayer, we implore, "And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." (Matthew 6:12) When I trespass, I wander into territories that are fraught with dangers, like entering unknown properties. What is there to gain in that when I have a beautiful place to call my own?

    And so, in Christ I have my home, my dwelling place for all eternity where I am protected from all evil by his rod and his staff.  There's no place like home.

"Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands. Wealth and riches are in their houses, and their righteousness endures forever." Psalm 112: 1, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment