Sunday, March 10, 2024

It's About Time

 "And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over, the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light." Romans 13: 11, 12

    As I went through the house changing clocks to daylight savings time, I thought about the wisdom of the Creator of time. God, who has no beginning or end, arranged it so that our lives are governed by the passage of time. 

    Think about how much of our lives revolve around the clock and calendar. From the time the alarm goes off, it's a race against time as we strive to get to work on time. Then it's watching the clock until lunch time before punching out and heading home for dinnertime. It's all about time.

    Time flies! (can I get a witness?) At age 62, I do not feel old but the mirror tells a different story. One of my dear friends from childhood was lamenting the unbelievable fact that her granddaughter was turning seventeen this year. Seventeen! Seems just yesterday we were seventeen. 

    There are only so many hours in a day, so it's imperative not to squander time since it's the stuff life is made of. Benjamin Franklin said, "Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today." Procrastination is a colossal waste of time, and the worst thing you can ever do is to drag your feet about eternal life.    

    The Bible says, "I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 6:2)  This means time is of the essence. We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Even the next moment is an unknown. You are running out of time! If you have not accepted the free gift of eternal life in Christ, don't waste time in doing so. Once you do, Jesus takes you by the hand and assures you, "Surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20) 

    I can think of no better way to spend my time.

"But I trust in you, Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands." Psalm 31: 14, 15

No comments:

Post a Comment