Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Table is Set

 "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." Psalm 23:5

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14: 1-4

    When I was a kid, one of my jobs was to set the table. We had a sturdy, round oak table, which my dad had refinished. At the time, I did not realize what an act of love it was to prepare the table for dinner, making a place for each person.

    At Thanksgiving, we went all out. Tables and chairs were gathered to accommodate invited guests. Table linens were pressed with care, creased in all the right places. The chest of "real" silverware was brought out along with the turkey candlestick holders, gravy boat and china platter. I'd set the table as per mom's instructions, making sure of the proper placement of utensils. The finishing touch was the place card bearing each person's name along with a selected scripture to read before the feast.

    Close your eyes with me and imagine heaven's banquet hall, if you can. Perhaps there will be a miles-long table draped in white linen and ribboned with garlands of fragrant flowers.  A happy throng of guests, arrayed in white, will stream in, looking for their place card, written in lovely calligraphy; an angel will draw out our chair for us. Who will be seated next to us but perhaps our long-lost loved one? Utensils of purest gold and stemware of crystal will reflect the light of our Savior as He takes His seat at the head of the table. Merry eyes will turn toward Him as He taps His fork on the glass to make an announcement - a proclamation of joyous welcome! We will drink in the glories of His Presence and be forever satiated by pure love and contentment.

    Who has been invited to such an auspicious occasion? How can we be certain to find our place at the table? 

    The invitations have been sent around the world, addressed with love in the blood of the Lamb. The garments of salvation, the righteous robes of Christ, are our wedding clothes.

    In Matthew 22: 1-14, Jesus tells the Parable of the Wedding Banquet in which the King has prepared a feast and sent out the invitations but, incredulously, some refused to come. They paid no attention and just went off about their business. That would be like our guests not coming on Thanksgiving!

    To be ensured of your place, you must respond to the King's invitation. Will you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, trusting in His death and resurrection? Or will you refuse? 

"...everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet." Matthew 22:4

"Then the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' And he added, 'These are the true words of God.'" Revelation 19:9 

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment