Thursday, April 6, 2023

Hands

 "But I trust in you, Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me.'" Psalm 31: 14, 15

    Think of everything we do with our hands. From the moment we arise, we are using them to brush our teeth, eat breakfast, drive to work, perform tasks, carry items, flip pages in a book and so on. We use them to convey emotions or to emphasize meaning while we interact with others. Hands can be used for good things or to perpetuate evil. Think of rude gestures or slapping someone or even, God forbid, taking the life of another. 

    Today, I spent time watching the hands of Jesus and all that they did in the Gospels. When visiting Peter's mother-in-law who was ill, Jesus touched her hand and the fever left her. 

    In the middle of his teaching about wineskins, a synagogue leader knelt before Him pleading, "My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live." (Matthew 9:18) The scriptures tell us, "He went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up." (vs. 25) Imagine that? Such simple words to describe something so incredible as a resurrection!

    Parents of little children came to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them and to pray for them. (Matt. 19:13) We don't have to be Bible characters to have the benefit of Jesus praying for our little ones. I know He intercedes for us as believers, going to the Father on our behalf. (See Romans 8:34)

    Then there was Peter, who had the faith to step out of the boat in the middle of a tempest on the Sea of Galilee, walking on water toward Jesus. But, fear overtook him and he began to sink. "Lord, save me!" he cried out. "Immediately, Jesus reached out his hand and caught him." (Matt. 14:31)

    Jesus did many other wondrous works with his hands as He taught and healed others with divine compassion. But then came the nefarious hands bearing evil intent. 

    Three times, Jesus solemnly spoke to His disciples about what lay ahead: "When they came together in Galilee, He said to them, 'The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men. They will kill Him, and on the third day He will be raised to life.'" (Matt. 17: 22, 23) 

    At the Last Supper, after having had his feet washed by our Lord, Judas was the one who dipped his hand into the bowl, indicating he was the one who would betray Jesus. As a result, Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane: "Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners." (Matt. 26:45)

    Our hearts are rent asunder when we read what the soldiers did with their hands: "They they spit in His face and struck Him with their fists. Others slapped Him and said, 'Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?'" (Matt. 26: 67, 68) "They stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on His head. They put a staff in His right hand. Then they knelt in front of Him and mocked Him." (Matt. 27: 28, 29)

    It has been said that we, as followers of Christ, are His hands and feet. Am I using my hands to soothe, direct or otherwise minister to those in need around me? Or are my fists balled in obstinance, refusing to let the love flow from a generous heart? Will I willingly wash feet, pray for children or reach out a helping hand to those who are perishing? 

    He took the nails for me; what shall I do for Him?

"Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Stop doubting and believe." John 20:27

    

No comments:

Post a Comment