Monday, September 19, 2022

AYCE (All You Can Eat)

 "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." Psalm 23: 5

    One of my jobs at work is to prepare fresh fruit servings for student lunches. One particular bunch of grapes was so densely populated with fruit that I could barely work my fingers in there to wrest them from their stems. 

    This brought to mind a Sunday School lesson from many years ago. The teacher was using the flannelgraph to demonstrate the story of the spies who were sent to explore the land of Canaan. I can still remember being impressed by the mammoth bunch of grapes they found that was so heavy, they had to carry it on a pole between them. "When they reached the Valley of Eshkol, they cut off a branch bearing a single cluster of grapes. Two of them carried it on a pole between them along with some pomegranates and figs." (Numbers 13:23)

    God had described the land He was giving to His people as a "land flowing with milk and honey." Evidently, the grape crop wasn't doing too badly either! That's how God is, though. Generous beyond comprehension. 

    As a Christian in 2022, my All You Can Eat buffet is found in God's word. Recently, I went on a quest to see how many verses I could find that describe the abundant life that is offered in Christ. Finding a small spiral notebook, I began to write them out in longhand so I could tangibly experience the feast for myself. I have found such heavy clusters of verses that I am going to need a larger notebook. 

    I will leave some "grapes" for you to sample:

  • I have peace: Psalm 4:8
  • I am safe : Psalm 9:9
  • I have heavenly citizenship: Philippians 3:20
  • I am a friend of God: John 15:15
  • I am loved: Jeremiah 31:3
  • I am completely forgiven: Colossians 1: 13, 14
  • I will receive the crown of life: James 1:12
    With all this and so much more, why would I want to go anywhere else? I have all I need in Christ. It's like He said - His grace really is sufficient for all my needs.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15: 13
    

No comments:

Post a Comment