Saturday, May 14, 2022

The Blanket

 "You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." Psalm 139: 5, 6

    One of my most precious memories is one of my mother tucking me in at night. The grime from play had been washed away before crisp, cotton sheets enfolded me. The cool autumn evening had ushered in the need for the pink wool blanket with the satiny edge to be brought from the cedar chest. In the pale light, my mother's form bent over to tuck the sides beneath the mattress, the woodsy aroma settling over me like a warm embrace. With a kiss and a prayer, she reminded me each night that Jesus loved me. I still have that blanket as a tactile reminder of how the love of Christ was introduced to me through my mom.

    This morning, I woke with that memory; I felt God's Presence there at my bedside. The richness of His love blanketed me in security till, like a child, I looked up at Him and said, "I love you." In reply,  this verse came to mind: "When I awake I am still with you." (Psalm 139:18)

    Let the robin's morning song and the welcomed warmth of the rising sun wrap you in the love of God this day. Feel His hand upon you; He loves you so!

"He walks with me and He talks with me,

And He tells me I am His own.

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

None other has ever know."

-In the Garden

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139" 9, 10



No comments:

Post a Comment