Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Far Side

 "If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139:9

    Recently, I flew alone to Houston to meet my baby granddaughter, Esme. Even though wild horses couldn't have kept me away, my confidence waned during the trip. After Dave dropped me off at the airport, I had ample time to join the throng of travelers, but as I stood in line at security, I dismally observed the dystopian scene before me with a sadness in my soul. The sea of masked strangers following orders left me feeling very vulnerable and alone, as the sniffing service dog checked my footwear for bombs. 

    Upon arrival at the massive intercontinental airport in Texas, I strode off the jetway, glanced around and wondered how I would ever find my son-in-law. There were so many concourses! I began to amble along, unsure of where to go so I asked a pilot for direction. Though he meant well, he was not too familiar with this hub either. As soon as we parted company, a random woman approached me and kindly offered to assist me. Before I knew it, she had hailed a cart which we both boarded. She seemed to know the driver well and fed her directions with me in mind. As these benevolent women took charge, a peace enveloped me as I relaxed against the seat. I knew this was a God thing.

    Before a word is on my tongue, before I even form a prayer, the Spirit within me knows when I sit and when I rise. Nothing can ever snatch me from God's right hand, which holds me fast. No trouble or hardship can ever separate me from the love of Christ Jesus, who will command his angels to guard me in all my ways, even angels with a proficient knowledge of the Houston airport.

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10: 27-28 

No comments:

Post a Comment