Monday, October 11, 2021

Volleyballs

 "This is what the great king, the king of Assyria, says: 'On what are you basing this confidence of yours?...On whom are you depending that you rebel against me?'" Isaiah 36:4, 5

    Without hesitation, I made out a list of at least a dozen threatening elements which have shown their vicious intent in our country since last March as I sat in the counselor's office. "It's as if my mind is a big gymnasium into which all these volleyballs have been dumped," I explained to him. "They all vie for my attention as they bounce about. I cannot ignore them, nor am I able to deal with them." 

    After considering my plight, he replied, "Imagine if, while I am here counseling you, fifteen others came into the office demanding advice as well. There would be too many people at once." He went on, "You have too many people in your office." From there, we devised a strategy to write one or two of these daunting matters on an index card, accompanied by a related scripture. Each night, I kneel beside my bed and lay one card before the Lord, giving my report to my Commander-in-Chief. Since then, I am refreshed, well-rested and restored.

    When Judah's King Hezekiah received a threatening letter from the vile king of the Assyrians, he took the letter into the temple and spread it out before the Lord in prayer. Guess what happened? "Then the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning - there were all the dead bodies!" (Isaiah 37:36) The people of Judah didn't even have to battle anybody! They just awoke to see what the Lord had done.

    That's what I am going to do. Just wake up and see. After all, the battle is His. You see, if I place my confidence in myself, I get battered by the volleyballs. But when I keep my eyes on Jesus, the peace that passes understanding guards my heart and mind.

"'Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles.' And the people gained confidence from what Hezekiah the king of Judah said." 2 Chronicles 32: 7, 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment