Monday, February 23, 2015

Someone to Watch Over Me

"See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared."
Exodus 23:20

     Although the Bible does not back up the idea of individual guardian angels, a divine protector that would be assigned to each person for their lifetime, I take comfort in the idea.

     In the above passage, the Lord is telling Moses that the Israelites will have an angel to guard them and bring them through their travails in the desert to the Promised Land.

     Likewise, we sojourn through many a hill and dale in this life as we wend our way to the Promised Land of heaven. The well loved image of the angel lovingly watching over two children who cross a bridge over troubled water comes to mind. I had that picture hanging in my daughters' bedroom years ago.

     In her book, "My Glimpse of Eternity," Betty Malz describes her short venture into the next world during the twenty-eight minutes she lay dead in a hospital. After leaving her body, her soul was walking up a beautiful green hill on a sea of vivid grass. I quote her story here:

     "Then I realized I was not walking alone. To the left, and a little behind me, strode a tall, masculine-looking figure in a robe. I wondered if he were an angel and tried to see if he had wings. But he was facing me and I could not see his back. I sensed, however, that he could go anywhere he wanted and very quickly. We did not speak to each other. Somehow, it didn't seem necessary, for we were both going in the same direction. Then I became aware he was not a stranger. He knew me and I felt a strange kinship with him. Where had we met? Had we always known each other? It seems we had."

     What a comfort it must've been for Betty to realize she was accompanied by a being who knew her, as though he were kin.

     Whether I have a guardian angel or not is not as important as my relationship with my savior, Jesus Christ. I worship him alone and I already know he has promised never to leave me or forsake me. But, if I do have a guardian angel, I humbly accept this as a generous gift from God as I relax in this comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment