Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Family Ties

"But soon it was time for the Feast of the Tabernacles, one of the annual Jewish holidays, and Jesus' brothers urged him to go to Judea for the celebration. 'Go where more people can see your miracles!' they scoffed. 'You can't be famous when you hide like this! If you're so great, prove it to the world!' For even his brothers didn't believe in him."
John 7: 2-5

I wonder if Jesus' mother, Mary, ever opened up to explain the situation of Christ's birth. If she told the crowds at the Feast that Jesus was born in Bethlehem, would they believe her? Did she ever share with his brothers how the angel spoke to her and Joseph, how the heavenly host surrounded the shepherds in the fields at night? Did she ever recall the mysterious Magi, bringing their gifts of three? Did she dare to confide in her best friend, saying "I was a virgin when Jesus was born"? Or did she keep all these things in her heart?
Jesus, I wonder what you thought as you covertly mingled amongst the people at the Feast, listening to their varying opinions. Even today, amid the various beliefs and arguments, I visualize your deep brown eyes searching mine and asking, "What about you, Rachel? Who do you say I am?" You are the light of this dark world. Show me the way as we sojourn together, my Shepherd and my Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment