Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Dirty Laundry

 "His (Manasseh's) prayer and how God was moved by his entreaty, as well as all his sins and unfaithfulness, and all the sites where he built high places and set up Asherah poles and idols before he humbled himself - all these are written in the records of the seers." 2 Chronicles 33:19

    This guy, Manasseh, was only twelve years old when he became king of Judah. When I think of how goofy I was when I was that age, maybe I can better understand how badly he botched his royal life and its fifty-five year reign. 

    The Bible airs his laundry list:  

  • he rebuilt the high places
  • he erected altars to the Baals
  • he made Asherah poles
  • he bowed down to the starry hosts, even setting up altars to them in God's temple
  • he sacrificed his children in the fire
  • he practiced divination and witchcraft
  • he consulted mediums and spiritists
  • he led the people astray
    In fact, the people of Judah under Manasseh's leadership did more evil than all the pagan nations before them. Though God spoke to them about this, they paid no attention. Manasseh ended up being dragged off by a hook in his nose as a prisoner of the Assyrians, bound by bronze shackles.

    My laundry list may have different entries than that of this king, but all stains look the same to our Holy God. "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind, our sins sweep us away." (Isaiah 64:6)
    
    I shrink from the very idea of my lascivious laundry flapping in the biblical breeze for all to see, but my Heavenly Father sees all; He knows my every transgression. How embarrassing!

    When Peter denied even knowing Jesus by the charcoal fire in the courtyard, Jesus turned His gaze on him with those piercing eyes, seeing through to Peter's soul. The disciple wept bitterly, as do I when my contrition overwhelms me. Thanks be to God, a broken and a contrite heart He does not despise! (Psalm 51:17)

    Getting back to Manasseh's dirty laundry...As he was being led away in shackles of shame, he repented of all his sins and the Lord had mercy on him. "In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his ancestors," the Bible says, "And when he prayed to him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom." (2 Chronicles 33: 12, 13)

    My mother used to say, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." I have to agree with her because there is no way I am going to see God in my dirty clothes. The only stain fighter that works is the blood of Jesus.

"Wash me and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7

    

No comments:

Post a Comment